Facebook icon Twitter icon

Customer Service Header Image

At your service on the phone
News Feed:

Billing and Customer Service

What are Champion Utility Billing Department's hours of operation?

Monday through Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Do I need to call Champion to start or terminate my bill upon moving in or vacating my apartment?

No. Your building's resident manager or authorized owner agent will notify our Customer Service Department when you move in, to begin the billing process. When you vacate the apartment, the manager will request a final billing on your account which will be deducted from your security deposit after you move out. If we receive a payment from you after a final bill has been processed, we will return your payment to the address from which it was received.

What is the billing cycle and when are bills due?

Bills are sent out each month, and are due 15 days after the bill date.

What forms of payment are accepted to pay my utility bill?

Champion Utility accepts checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and debit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo.

How can I submit a payment?

You can access your account and submit a payment online using MasterCard or Visa by visiting the Residential Account Management page. You can also mail in your payment by enclosing the detachable bottom portion of your bill, along with check or money order for the amount due, made payable to Champion Utility Billing Services. Please do not include cash or coin. Postal delays and processing time may result in a balance carried forward. Please allow enough time for your payment to arrive to our office by the due date.

How can I find out if you have received my utility payment?

You can call our Utility Billing Department at 800-336-6033, between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, or access your account online at www.championutility.com.

What is Champion's policy on returned mail?

If returned mail is received, we verify if the resident's status is active or inactive and send it back to the property.

I had a higher water bill than expected. What happened?

The most common causes of higher-than-normal water usage include leaky toilets, constantly running toilets and increased laundry. If you have a question about your bill, contact our Utility Billing Department at 800-336-6033.

What happens if I don't pay my bill on time?

A penalty fee is assed; the amount depends on the specifications relative to the property in which you reside.

Can I change the due date on my utility bill?

No. Utility billing dates and due dates are set by ordinance according to location, and cannot be changed. There are, however, things you can do to help get your bill paid on time. We invite you to contact Champion's customer service representatives at 800-336-6033 for assistance.

Are there laws that regulate utility billing in multi-unit properties?

Regulations vary not only at the state level but also by local jurisdictions. Champion is up-to-date on legislative and regulatory issues that affect our industry. In addition, our utility attorney has over 30 years of experience in public utility law and regulation.

Reading Your Bill

What is an allocated utility service?

An allocated utility service is used when the sub-meter that is installed on the subject property reads only the water that goes into the water heater. Therefore, we must add a "cold-water allocation" to capture full water usage. This allocation is determined by the industry standard, which is three gallons of cold water for every gallon of hot water used.

Why are there duplicate charges for services on my bill?

The charges that you see are for allocated properties. Since sewer and wastewater sanitary charges are based on the amount of water consumption for both hot and cold water, we must add an allocation for both services. The total of hot water usage and cold allocation equals the amount of water that is actually consumed.

What is HRSD?

HRSD stands for the Hampton Roads Sanitation District for wastewater treatment. This is a charge that the city bills and it is based solely on your water consumption.

Why is there an admin fee on my bill?

The administration fee is a nominal processing charge that covers the cost of your invoicing service.

What is an activation fee?

A one-time service activation fee is charged to all residential or business customers establishing new service within Champion's sub-metered properties.

Why was my bill estimated?

When an actual meter reading is not obtained for your account, an estimated bill is calculated based on how much water or gas was consumed in your personal history. If there is no personal history, the estimate is based on a property average.

What if my payment is going to be late?

If Champion receives your payment after the due date on the bill,or if there is a balance on your account after posting your payment, you will be charged a late payment fee, which will be reflected on your next invoice. It is up to the discretion of the property in which you reside on steps to be taken if your account becomes delinquent.

Why does my current bill show a previous balance that I have already paid?

Your payment may have been received in our office after we issued your current bill; if so, the prior period charges will appear. Postal delays and processing time may result in a balance carry forward. Please allow enough time for your payment to arrive to our office by the due date.

I am out of town. Will I be billed?

Yes. In a sub-metered community, you are billed for the actual water and sewer usage in your apartment; therefore, if you are away from your home, theoretically your water bill should be lower. Your allocated trash portion will remain the same regardless of whether you are home or not (much like your rent). In a ratio-billed community (RUBS) you remain responsible for charges incurred by the property – again, as you are responsible for your rent. The less utilities you use, however -- whether due to absence or conservation -- will affect your monthly charges.

How much profit does the owner make on these utilities?

None! It is against the law in the United States for an individual or entity to make a profit by marking up the cost of and reselling any utility, unless that individual or entity is a licensed public utility agency. For properties equipped with individual sub-meters, you are billed at the same rate for water and sewer that is charged on the master meter. These rates are set by the local water agency. For properties billed on the Ratio Utility Billing System (RUBS), the actual cost of utilities is allocated among all units, after the cost and any common area usage (such as irrigation water, pool and laundry room) has been deducted from the bill.

Do you have a low-income, senior or medical disability discount?

Utility discounts are provided only by licensed public utility companies. Champion's billing service is a reimbursement-based operation, as we are not a public municipality -- and as such, discounts are not offered.

What do I do if the number of occupants on my bill is incorrect or changes?

Changes in the number of occupants on your bill require approval from your resident manager. If you have changes in the number of people in your unit and/or are being billed for an incorrect number of occupants, contact your resident manager so they can make the change themselves or contact us to do so. Credits for being over-billed can be issued only with the authorization of your manager or management company.

How are my meters read?

There are many ways in which meters are read, and each city, county, and property is different. Following are some examples:

Manual Meter Reading System: A meter reader physically accesses your meter or remote counter and reads it.

Automated Meter Reading System: With this system, typically the meter is inside a dwelling or enclosed area that is not accessible. The meter is wired to Meter Counter Modules (MCM) located in the maintenance room of your building. The MCM is then wired to the Communication Interface Module (CIM) that is located in the MPOE (Minimum Point Of Entry – main phone room) for the property. Using this technology, UMC is able to communicate with this module at any time to retrieve meter readings.

Wireless Meter Reading System: Again with this system, typically the meter is inside a dwelling or enclosed area that is not accessible. The meter is wired to a micro radio transmitter that transmits meter readings to a relay/receiver. The relay/receiver sends meter readings periodically throughout each 24-hour period to a receiver/communicator unit that is generally located in the MPOE (Minimum Point Of Entry – main phone room). UMC communicates with this receiver/communicator to download meter readings.

Leave a comment

Comments are closed.



Like Champion

Twitter Feed